Friday, September 4, 2009

Zombie Tunes (part 5)

 Sorry about not having this up yesterday as I'd promised, but I wasn't feeling 100%. I felt sluggish, foggy, and I had this insane craving for... braainnnssss! But I'm fine now. ;)
 On Wednesday I posed the question, "What's in a name?" The answer? Zombies. Many bands use the word "zombie" in their names, and more often than not, their name is their only connection to the sub-culture of the living dead. Their music is often devoid of anything resembling the zombies (the exception being Rob Zombie; I think he might actually be one).
 Today we'll spotlight two bands who've chosen to rock under similar monikers, but have taken it in totally different directions.

 First up, we have The Zombies. This English band formed in 1959, about thirty years after the modern zombie was introduced into popular culture by the American horror author H. P. Lovecraft, who is credited with writing perhaps the first incedent of a zombie biting a human. The Zombies broke up in 1968, The Time of the Season was one of their last songs released. I love psychodelic vibe. Unlike most 60'd tunage, this song wasn't about peace or making a political statement, it illustrated the other cultural revolution going on at that time. I'm sure it's clear by the lyrics what that revolution was all about. ;)
 From the calming psychodelic pop of The Zombies, we switch over now to something of opposite polarity. White Zombie. This band, who broke up in 1998, was noted for it's use of horror and fantasy in their lyrics. While most guys were rocking about life, drugs, or whatnot, they were screaming about monsters. True innovators! I give you More Human Than Human.
Tune in for part 6; Featured Tunage.
Happy Zombie Week!
Zombie Girrrl

3 comments:

Eleni said...

Grooby baby! lol sorry that just came to mind hen I listened to it...but it's awesome how they sang about horry & fantasy, they were definitely unique!

Eli said...

Hope you're feeling better! And interesting Band. xD Fun stuff.

vvb32 reads said...

i must say, i enjoyed the psychodelic zombies more.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Blank Spaces Have Great Potential...