Thursday, May 21, 2009

Inaugural Post

Welcome, readers, to my new blog where I'll talk about books I've read, authors I love, and probably ramble incessantly. I won't write reviews per se, because I really don't think my opinion on books is all that important, but I will talk about what I like and what I don't. If you wanna call that a review, go right on and do that, but I'm just gonna call it my take on things and hope that y'all don't take my (re)views too seriously because (A) I sure don't, too much in life is serious if you ask me, and (B) I'd hate to discourage someone from reading a book simply because it didn't appeal to little ol' me. But worry not, bloggers and lurkers, I can usually describe my favorite book as the one I am currently reading, so I'm not likely to discourage anyone in any way from any book. I think all books have merit and thus all books should be read. It's an amazing thing when people write down their thoughts, and the only way to honor such a personal form of expression is to partake in it. I also feel that books are merely a starting point for your imagination and I often mentally edit stories as I'm going along and live in that story for days, weeks, or even years after I've finished reading it.
I guess I should say before we really start this thing that I made this blog because I had a lot of fun writing about how zombies are in vogue right now on my other blog, In Stitches, which is supposed to be about drawings and crafts and the like and not books. But now I can totally see why the internet is so saturated with book blogs. Because it's fun! So for my first post I think I'll talk about the first author that I ever really got hooked on, Tamora Pierce.
Back story: I first started reading Tamora Pierce when I was in my early teens, such a tumultuous time. The first book I read by her was Squire, from the Protector of the Small Series (embarrassing title, great story!). I was instantly hooked, even though it was the third of the quartet. It was just what I needed at that point in my life, a strong, take charge, ballsy heroine named Kel. She could have been named Sheila, but that wouldn't have mattered to me. I wanted to be her! Since then I have read all but her first two series, Song of the Lioness and The Immortals Series. I don't know why I haven't read them, it just seems weird to go back on the whole story I guess, because all the books are connected and POTS is the third quartet in the whole series, but I totally want to get them, especially TIS. It all takes place in one of the greatest fantasy worlds I have ever visited, Tortall, whose shining capital city is Corus, and all the people like know each other and appear in each other's stories and stuff, and there's references to previous stories but it's not like you have read them all, which I love, because I haven't.
So anywho! Her most recent work is The Beka Cooper Series whose newest book is Bloodhound, numero dos in the series. So far her books have taken place in and revolved around the upper crust of Tortall, but not this series! It's a flash back to Corus 600 years before Kel took on the boys at knight training school and takes place in the lowest, most corrupt slum. Beka, the protagonist, is training to be a beat cop in the first book, and is in her first year of coptitude in the second. It's written in journal form, which initially turned me away from the series because I'm wishy washy about new things like that, but I finally said screw it! and bought the book anyway. I am so glad I did! This is so far my favorite series by Tammy (yes, I'm a first name basis with her, what of it?) because it's so gritty and different from her other books, and I cannot wait to get the second book! My plan was to wait for it to come out in paperback, but my will might not be strong enough to wait that long, I need to read it! I can't wait a whole year!
In the mean time, I'll be catching up on the Tortall books I already own; Protector of the Small, The Trickster's Choice, The Trickster's Queen, and of course, book one in The Beka Cooper Series, Terrier.
I'll keep y'all posted on what I'm reading, what I'm thinking, and how much longer I can hold out before I absolutely must buy Bloodhound.
Tootles for now,
21

2 comments:

Ren @ All By Myshelf said...

I tried reading something by Tamora Pierce once, but I couldn't get into it. I can't remember the title, but you know the book I'm talking about.

Zombie Girrrl said...

That would be the Circle of Magic series. I got the first two at the used book store, but they're aimed at a younger audience I think, and there's not as much action. They're good, like I really like how practical things like weaving are forms of magic, it's just not my cup of tea. I think I'll be trading them in for some of her Tortall books that I don't have.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Blank Spaces Have Great Potential...