Friday, May 22, 2009

My Take On The Zombie Survival Guide

I just finished reading Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide, and if I had a rating system, I would give it a five out of five. In fact, in honor of this book's awesomeness, I'm going to make a rating system! I give The Zombie Survival Guide... Five zombies for it's practicality and humor. The most important lesson I gleaned from this very handy guide is prepare, prepare, prepare! Sure, people may laugh at you, call you crazy, and call the men in white coats for preparing for something as "unlikely" as a zombie apocalypse, but I'm sure people made fun of Noah when he built the arc, and who got the last laugh in that instance, huh? Noah, that's who. Because he was prepared. *nods solemnly*
Thanks in part to this book's wealth of knowledge in coalition with my overactive imagination and wandering mind, I have now, with extreme care and consideration, chosen the place where I will hide out if the world is ever overrun by the walking dead. The Svalbard Global Seed Vault.As pointed out in TZSG, this location is optimal for survival because it is A) remote, 2) chocked full o' seeds for growing food, and B) located in the tundra, a place where zombies freeze solid into harmless zombie-sickles who can then be easily dispatched through some means of decapitation or incineration. Of course, I would need reading material to keep my spirits up. I think I would take World War Z. The stories of survival from people all over the world, told in their own distinct voices, would surely help me to see that even in the bleakest situations, there is always a glimmer of hope. But to keep my mind off the moaning horde beating at my vault door, I would take something light and funny like Rhymes With Witches, by Lauren Myracle.
A very good read. It has the perfect balance of magic and witchiness. I liked how unexpected the ending was, I don't know about y'all, but I did not see that coming! The fast paced, funny, and enthralling story would draw my right in and distract me from the crumbling world around me. I think I'll give Rhymes With Witches...
Four of five zombies. This is the first book by Lauren Myracle that I've read, and I can't wait to read her newest book, Peace, Love and Baby Ducks. I think me and the protagonist, Carly, have a lot in common. We've both been labeled "hippies" because, well, we are, we both wear Jesus-sandals, and we both have the worst experiences at the salon. My bad experiences stem from anxiety over trusting my hair to a stranger, her's from a very, very, bad hair cut. *shudder*
Until we meet again,
tootles,
21

6 comments:

Ren @ All By Myshelf said...

I read the excerpt about her haircut. Horrible! That is the only word to describe it. I want to read PLaBD, it sounds sooo good!!! XD And you and Carly are freakishly alike. O_O

Orchid said...

I'm going to have to check out World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide when I get a chance.

Zombie Girrrl said...

Ooh, I love presents! :^D

cheap homemade gift ideas said...

Hey I wanna get one of these books but dont know which, I hear the Survival Guide is very good but the same with World War Z. Can anyone help?

Zombie Girrrl said...

@ CHGI: Well, World War Z is a more serious book written like an actual history, with tactical details and all, and is narrated by a large cast of colorful characters.
The Survival Guide, however, is more humorous. If you're looking for a good laugh with some gore and oddly practical tips thown in, then I would suggest The Guide.
Hope that helps! :)

cheap homemade gift ideas said...

You still have all the normal things like you need food, water, gotta stay warm in the winter, cool in the summer, most importantly you gotta watch out for the crazy people.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Blank Spaces Have Great Potential...