Saturday, August 8, 2009

Weekly Book Roundup

 As we are all well aware, In My Mailbox was inspired The Story Siren, bop on over on Sunday for a list of IMM posts or to add yours to the Mr. Linky1.

 So this week, I again have some that ACTUALLY CAME IN THE MAIL! I recieved my paperback copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows which I won from Reading Rocks. Thanks, guys!
Library Finds:

 Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear of pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the community. When Jonas turns 12 he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.





 It starts when Alexandria, a poor, plain goose girl, offers her own bread and water to a hungry old woman-who just happens to be a witch in disguise. Poof! Alexandria is suddenly heartstoppingly beautiful. Her hair rains down gold dust, and the tears she sheds turn to diamonds. Soon a prince and a king are fighting for her hand, and they've locked her in a tower to keep her "safe." How Alexandria wishes she was a goose girl again! Clearly the only thing to do is escape-which is when her problems really begin! Patrice Kindl's inimitable voice and craft make this take on the classic fairy tale extraordinary-and extraordinarily hilarious.
 I've been living under the misconception that this book, which I've read before and enjoyed immensely, was Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. Glad I got that straightened out.

 Phoebe Kendall is just your typical Goth girl with a crush. He's strong and silent.and dead.

 All over the country, a strange phenomenon is occurring. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. But when they come back to life, they are no longer the same. Feared and misunderstood, they are doing their best to blend into a society that doesn't want them.
 The administration at Oakvale High attempts to be more welcoming of the "differently biotic." But the students don't want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn't breathing. And there are no laws that exist to protect the "living impaired" from the people who want them to disappear-for good.
 When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids, no one can believe it; not her best friend, Margi, and especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team. Adam has feelings for Phoebe that run much deeper than just friendship; he would do anything for her. But what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?
 I read a good review the other day, so I couldn't pass this up! Although I've also read that the portrayal of the goth kids was anything but accurate. I'll just have to see for myself.
In his million-copy bestseller Guns, Germs, and Steel, Jared Diamond examined how and why Western civilizations developed the technologies and immunities that allowed them to dominate much of the world. Now in this brilliant companion volume, Diamond probes the other side of the equation: What caused some of the great civilizations of the past to collapse into ruin, and what can we learn from their fates?
 I have Guns, Germs, and Steel on my shelf, still need to read it, but this one sounded really interesting. I've always felt a sort of spooky wonderment when I see ruins on TV, this title really caught my eye.



 That's all the books for this week which means that I've finished all of last weeks books, so expect many reviews in the near future!
Happy reading!
Z.G.
footnotes_________________________________________________
1  Teehee, Mr. Linky, it makes me giggle!

10 comments:

Orchid said...

I'm pretty sure that I have read the Giver and maybe even Goose Chase.

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

Generation Dead is fantastic. Hopefully you'll love it as much as I did!

Eli said...

Yaaay! Generation Dead!! Hope you enjoy!! <3

Lizzy said...

I've heard a lot of good things about Generation Dead, so I need to add it to my list! Hope you enjoy your books

Unknown said...

Nice week. I really like The Giver. Happy reading.

prophecygirl said...

Gen Dead is a pretty cool book, looking forward to your thoughts!

Eleni said...

Wow, The Giver? Haven't read that since high school, it was such a great book, I should re-read it. Also, generation dead is super good, hope ya like it babez!

-Eleni

Rebecca said...

Great books you got this week. generation dead is really good. Enjoy.

Lauren said...

Interesting selection there. I've actually ordered a second-hand copy of The Giver in the last few days, because I remember it being so good. Hope you enjoy it.

Rhiannon Hart said...

I'm a big Jared Diamond fan! Guns, Germs and Steel is a fantastic read. He just makes so much sense! Collapse is supposed to be great too, but I haven't read it yet. Love to know what you think of his stuff.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Blank Spaces Have Great Potential...