Friday, June 12, 2009

New Library, New Book Pool

Visited a new library the other day just to shake things up and because mine is totally lame (no offense librarians, I know it's not y'all's fault, it's funding) and I found a few good reads, one of which I've already finished ans can't wait to talk about!
I got An Abundance of Katherines, by John Green (more on that later).
The Sacrifice, by Diane Matcheck. I read this a million years ago and I still think about it, so when I saw it on the shelf I was like, "I know that book!" It was like running into an old friend or something, and not the awkward kind of reunion where you're tempted to cross the street but it's too late because they've already seen you and they know that you know that they've seen you too and now niether of you can just walk past eachother without stopping to exchange some lame pleasantries because it'd be rude so you have to act all happy to see them even if you weren't very close and say things like, "Oh my gosh, how are you? or, "How long has it been, what are you up to these days?" in a sing songy voice because everyone ends up sing songing when they don't really want to be there talking to you. Not like that at all.
Stones In Water, by Donna Jo Napoli. Another book that I've read before a million years ago. Sort of. It was so sad the first time (think along the lines of The Book Thief) that I skipped to the end just to see what happened and returned it promptly in an attempt to save myself from the heartache that I knew was to come. I never really forgave myself for giving up on Roberto and Samuele and for not seeing it through to the end, so I didn't really have a choice but to get this book again. This time I'm gonna finish it! No matter how sad it is, someone must have lived through this sort of thing back then, and it's down right disrespectful to not read it.
Nation, by Terry Pratchett. I've seen this book around but for some reason never got it. Probably because it wasn't based in Disc World. But just because I'm not gonna come across Granny Weatherwax doesn't mean that it's not gonna have Terry's trademark wit and wisdom, so I'm very excited to read this not-Disc World book.
A pretty good score, if I do say so myself. And I do.
In other news, I have finished reading Breathers and hope to have a post up about it by Monday at the latest. I still have to write about Tricksters Queen, too. Busy, busy, busy.
Have a nice weekend, y'all!
Tootles!
21

5 comments:

Ren @ All By Myshelf said...

I loved the awkward reunion thing. It was hilarious! (or should I say hi-larious?)

Orchid said...

I usually enjoy going to the library, but lately all I've been able to find are books that I either already own or have already read.

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads said...

I have always stayed away from the library. I've lived in small towns my whole life and libraries have never seemed to contain actual books- take for instance my closest public library which has five dusty Danielle Steel novels and the Guinness Book of World Records (which I'd read before picking up Steel). Recently I went into a real library in one of "them there cities" and it had BOOKS! New release books by people I've actually heard of! I was amazed. I will have to do this alien library book thing that you speak of and "check out" a book.

Eli said...

I have something for you!!

http://tainted-poet.blogspot.com/2009/06/awards.html

Zombie Girrrl said...

Heheh, I've never had a library that bad, you have my deepest condolences.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Blank Spaces Have Great Potential...