Monday, October 5, 2009

1 Week Till Hush, Hush !

 With just one week to go before the release of Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick, I thought it would be prudent of me to repost my review and make sure y'all haven't forgotten about this amazing book!


 For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.
 With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.
 But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
 For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.



 Hush, Hush surpassed my1 expectations because it was so much more than just another teenage, supernatural romance. Hiding within the main plot of a dark love story was a mystery that kept me guessing and turning pages well into the wee hours. I had to see how it ended! The climax was unexpected, fully satisfying, and left me hungry for more2.
 I loved the characters; they ran the gamut from blatantly pernicious to deceptively benign. Dark and dangerous Patch with his closet full of skeletons3 and his rogue’s smile was by far my favorite, I felt like he was pulled straight out of my daydreams4. Cautious and reliable Nora with her own shadows lurking in her past rang true as a wonderfully relatable protagonist, and her BFF and soul sister Vee had more than a flare for the dramatic. She livened up the dialogue with flashes of humor that had me laughing out loud or shaking my head along with Nora.
 The relationship between Patch and Nora was gripping to read; I was glued to the page to see what would happen next and was very pleased with the realistic pace it took to develop. While I was a little thrown by the awkward timing that their relationship coalesced into something tangible, I was more than happy to reach that point. Possibly against my better judgment, I was rooting for Patch and Nora.
 Overall this is a book worth reading twice, once at top speed to see what will happen next, and once at a more leisurely pace to enjoy the flow and style with the benefit of seeing how all the subtle hints fit into the bigger picture. This means that Hush, Hush receives…

…Five Zombies!
Only one week to go before you can read about Patch and Nora! I can't wait to read the new ending5.

Happy waiting,
Zombie Girrrl

footnotes___________________________________________________

1  ...admittedly high...
2  I can't believe I have to wait another year for Crescendo, I don't know if I can make it!
3  Possibly real.
4  A realization that leaves me pondering my ratiocination in respect to fantasy me.
5  If you've read the ARC and were thinking, "Well, I don't need to buy the book..." you would be wrong. Certain aspects of the story have been changed prior to publication. I can't wait to see what's different!
6  If you're interested in further Hush, Hush related reading, you can check out my (first ever) interview with Becca Fitzpatrick here.

2 comments:

Eleni said...

Great review! I'm so glad u liked it :)

Alyssa Kirk said...

I was so bummed not to get to read this earlier but it won't be long now! Can't wait!

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Blank Spaces Have Great Potential...